Meet your new go-to salad; a superfood packed salad for the super-health-nutty you! This salad combines nutrient-dense foods like kale, naturally-sweet dates and blueberries- all of which are loaded with an array of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Mix in your favorite macadamia nuts for added flavor, crunch and a source of satiating monounsaturated fat. Fresh goat cheese adds a pop of flavor and a source of protein with fewer calories than hard cheese -- AND is more easily digestible by those who are lactose intolerant. Enjoy this delicious salad knowing it’s doing a lot more than just pleasing your taste-buds!
- 1 T finely minced shallot
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 2 t honey
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, also called dinosaur kale (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Medjool dates pitted and sliced (about 5 large dates)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped Royal Hawaiian Orchards macadamia nuts (Natural, Sea Salt, Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper or Maui Onion)
- 2 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Strip the kale of its stem and cut leaves into 2” pieces. In a small bowl, whisk together shallot, lemon juice and honey, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Using your hands, toss the kale with the lemon and honey dressing, coating each piece with the dressing. Set the dressed kale aside for 20 minutes to allow the dressing to soften the kale. Add the olive oil and toss again with your hands. You can continue to make the salad at this point, or refrigerate the kale overnight.
- Add blueberries, celery, dates, macadamia nuts and goat cheese. Toss and enjoy!
Serves 1-2 as a main course, 3-4 as a side salad.
Add a protein such as diced roast chicken or turkey to make this a heartier, more complete meal.
Substitute dried figs or apricots for the dates or fresh strawberries for the blueberries for a different, healthful flavor palette.
For a vegan version, substitute 1/2 avocado or 1/2 cup edamame for goat cheese.